I am now a resident of Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania. I live with 3 other wonderful roomates in a beautiful apartment in town. I work about twenty minutes from my home at a place called Gateway Rehabilitation Center as a full-time evening counselor. It is wonderful and so difficult all at the same time. But one thing I can say is, God is good. :)

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

My House in Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania

Hello everybody! I'm back on the blog, but I am not back in Uganda. I just wanted to write a blog because I love writing and wanted some family and friends to see some pictures of what I'm doing here. This first picture is our red beans and rice and cornbread dinner last night...basically a southern meal. I made my housemates all dress up southern in order to get dinner last night. It was really fun! I absolutely love these housemates. For those of you who don't know, I'm living in a place called "City House" and the goal of it is to live in community with our neighborhood as well as in community with the people from our house. There are 4 girls and 3 guys, and some are students, some are graduates from my school, Geneva. We buy from the small businesses down here, have our neighbors over for meals, and do some community service to understand the community. One of the main reasons we do this is because our college is on a hill, separated from the broken community that surrounds us. We wanted to be part of integrating them and understanding true community the way God wants us to. I can't even begin to describe how good it has been for me to be here. God is really showing me so much more than I expected, opening my eyes to what Christain community means and what building community in this broken neighborhood looks like. It's the closest I've been to the community I came to know and love in Uganda, and for the first time since Uganda, I am reconsidering if God actually wants me to be working internationally. God is opening my eyes to how I can be used even in this place around me in America, and it excites me so much and scares me all at the same time.


This is a picture of me and my 0housemates in the depth of wintery snow trying to do a challenge on the course near our campus. We're trying to switch places on a log that is covered in ice, and let me tell you, it was pretty stinkin difficult. (I'm the second from the right.) We had a day last week that we went out to this challenge course to do some "house-building" activities, and it was fun in working through challenges together and just having fun as well. I have so much more to share about the house and my thoughts, but I'll save that for another blog. I love you all, family and friends. I hope you enjoy these pictures! :)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Meggie-
Your mom just emailed to let me know you were on here again.
Boy you and your brother and sister in law are deep in the snow this winter aren't you?
I wish I was.
In the picture where everyone is dressed "southern", before I read the entry, I thought boy she's living with a bunch of hippees! Oops-takes one to know one, I guess.

1:28 PM

 
Blogger Andrea Hensen said...

Hi Megan,

I just emailed you and Leslie but the email I sent to you bounced back. Apparently Geneva has a super powerful fire wall and doesn't like gmail. Go Figure!
Please check with Leslie as to the content of the email. Thanks so mcuh!

9:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work.

5:43 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home